In order to truly understand the benefits of targeted sales and marketing automation campaigns, it helps to see what a solid marketing campaign can do for your business. So let’s start with the end result of proper targeting.
The image below is from Enfusen’s HubSpot account.
Our average campaign is now reaching a 40%+ conversion rate!
Ready to see the same results for your business?
The videos below outline exactly how we’ve designed our campaign to do this and why you should consider implementing marketing automation tools and tactics into your marketing and sales campaigns.
Over the course of 4 videos, we’ll discuss the critical elements that lead up to targeted marketing automation activities that push your leads further down the sales funnel.
But before we jump the gun, let’s define 3 technical terms that rules the world of marketing automation campaigns:
Concepts in Marketing Automation Campaign Design
Lead Stages: A lead stage is defined by where a contact is in your overall sales and marketing funnel. You may refer to this as the purchase decision process or simply the sales cycle. If you’ve yet to develop a sales cycle of your own, visit HubSpot’s awesome blog: The Steps You Need to Define the Stages of Your Sales Cycle
Lead Scoring: This methodology is used to rank prospects against a scale that represents the perceived value each lead represents to a given business. The resulting score is to determine which leads should be engaged in order of importance. Learn more about lead scoring here.
Targeted Email Marketing: Sending emails that are targeted to the exact audience at the exact point they are in your funnel with an offer that is most likely to create engagement and conversion. To learn more about targeted email marketing read:
Learning How to Create High Converting Targeted Sales & Marketing Automation Campaigns
Now that we’ve given you an introduction to the concepts that help us develop targeted sales and marketing automation campaigns, let’s start learning how to implement high converting campaigns into your business.
Video Lesson 1: Lead Stages
In this video, I’m going to show you how Enfusen sets up various lead stages and how we segments those contacts for our Business Development Reps.
Here are the different lead stages
- Contact: A contact is someone that is in our CRM that we do not have enough Lead Intelligence on to qualify them to our Buyer Persona
- Prospect: A prospect is someone that has persona match but had not yet been fully engaged from a marketing perspective.
- MQL (Marketing Qualified Lead): A MQL is someone that has persona match, has some level of engagement but has not yet raised their hand and said “I’m interested in talking to you about how you can help me”.
- SQL (Sales Qualified Lead): A SQL is someone that has a high level of engagement with your initial offer. This can be someone that has completed your assessment, a strategy session, or maybe an online tool that you use in your funnel.
- Opportunity: An opportunity is someone that you’ve made a complete and formal offer to. This means the proposal has been sent but they have not yet bought.
- Client: We all know what a client is.
Watch this short video to learn more about how to use lead stages in your marketing funnel.
Video Lesson 2: Lead Scoring
Lead scoring is one of the most critical elements of the modern marketing campaign. Not only can it be used to create triggers inside of automation, it can also be used to send the best leads to your sales team. Better yet, it can keep bad leads far away from your sales team. This process has become vital to campaign success and is a vital feature in most marketing automation tools.
How Does Lead Scoring Help Your Sales and Marketing Automation Efforts?
- It shows you the level of engagement a contact has with your sales & marketing funnel. This ‘lead score’ can be used to sort a list by probability to buy so that you can work on the most engaged leads first.
- Your lead score allows you assign different values to different levels of engagement. Giving a +1 to someone that reads a blog post or a +15 to someone that fills out a form.
- It also gives you the ability to assign negative values to attributes that do not lead to a sale such as -10 if they visit your career page or a -25 if they use a domain name from a competitor that is just trying to grab your materials.
Using lead scoring in your business allows marketing to sort out the bad leads before sending them over to sales. It also helps sales to know which leads to work on first. A successful marketing automation campaign requires that this is in place and being properly managed.
Check out this video below to see how Enfusen does their Lead Scoring
Video 3: Sending Targeted Emails to Specific Lead Stage
If you think email marketing is a tactic of the past, perhaps you’re still viewing the big picture with an old prescription. Though blasting your list with flash sales and untargeted emails is a sure-fire way to lose customers, targeted emails help you nurture a relationship with your prospects and leads.
To keep it simple: Targeted emails ensure that you get the right message sent to the right person at exactly the right time. If you’re having a hard time seeing the big picture, check out these fundamental reasons targeted emails empower your sales and marketing automation campaigns.
Why Utilizing Targeted Email Marketing is Important
- It allows you to craft a message that the receiver is most likely to respond to
- It allows you to keep a warm healthy relationship with every contact on your list
- It keeps your emails from getting marked as spam
- It allows you to measure the success of each message and its effect on moving leads between stages
The bottom line is without targeted emails, you’re not going to have success with your email marketing. Worse yet, you’ll be subject to the spam folder.
Watch this short video to see how Enfusen uses these strategies to target their emails to the right audience every time
Still feeling pretty lost? Worry not! If you have any questions about this blog post or need marketing automation consulting, feel free to reach out to us in contact form or comment. Enfusen is always here to help you grow your business and empower your team through streamlined sales and marketing automation tactics and strategies that work.